Celebrate Valentines Day in style!
Whether you are single and ready to mingle or happily settled in a relationship, February 14th always brings around certain challenges no matter what your ‘relationship status’ is.
The first challenge I believe is ‘How to celebrate Valentines Day’. Do you go out, stay in, party, drink, dine, dance? Whatever you decide London really does have the answer!
If you wish to celebrate Valentines Day then London really is the city to do it in. I’ve picked out my top places, (that aren’t already sold out!) that couples might like to visit the celebrate.
- The Queens House in Greenwich has a special ‘Love in the Archives‘ event especially for Valentines Day. ‘Love in the Archives’ is a special event where letters written by Georgian Navy men to their wives and mistresses, are exhibited. There will also be accompanying music and prosecco on arrival.
- If a restaurant is more your thing we can personally recommend ‘Roux at the Landau‘. Situated behind Oxford Circus tube station this restaurant oozes class and is intimate and romantic. The food is simply amazing and the ambience is perfect for a Valentines night dinner.
- The Lookout in Hyde Park is hosting a film night by the travelling cinema club. If curling up under the stars with your loved one is your ideal night then this could be the one for you. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and pack plenty of layers! Note: The 14th has sold out but you can still get tickets for the 15th – http://www.whereisthenomad.com/buy-tickets-now/
If you are single in the city then celebrating Valentines Day might seem like an oxymoron to you, but London does offer up some great alternatives to the couples events.
- My number one event this Valentines Day for all the single ladies is London Fashion Week! If (like me boo!) you aren’t lucky enough to get tickets don’t panic you can take a look at the schedule, grab your best friends, don your highest fashion clothes, shoes or bag and visit Radio Rooftop Bar opposite Somerset House to scope out the visitors going in and out!
- Bounce in Holborn is hosting an ‘Anti Valentines Day Party‘ with live entertainment, games and tournaments just some of the events taking place to get you in the party sprint. They even offer UV ping pong included in the £5 ticket cost.
- The Shard is hosting a dating party through ‘Doing Something‘ on the 12th and event goers will even get to witness a new Guinness World Record as it becomes the ‘Worlds Highest Urban Ice Bar‘ that very night. To top of the fun waiters will be dressed as penguins for the night!
- If you want to channel some ‘Made in Chelsea‘ action then Altitude London is the place for you. Recommended by the ‘ladies man’ himself – Spencer Matthews, as being THE place to visit this Valentines Day.
- If you are an animal lover and charity is more your thing then the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home are holding a special valentines event with bubbly on arrival. A £2 entry donation is recommended! Who knows you could walk away with your perrfect Valentine!
The next challenge if you are in a couple is ‘What to get them as a present?‘.
The perfect Valentines gift doesn’t have to be large, flashy and expensive. It can however be something thoughtful and sweet.
- A personalised card goes a long way. With sites such as Moonpig easily available with plenty of options you can create your perfect photo card within minutes! A personalised card means a lot more than a generic one as it means you have put time and thought in to it. If you prefer to hand make the card then get down to a local craft shop, grab some ribbon, card and pens and get creating!
- Make a mixed CD. CDs might not be as popular as they used to be – but they can be handy on road trips etc. Create a CD with all your favourite songs to sing along to together so when the time comes when a CD is actually useful you can pop it in and remember all of your good times together!
- Buy them something they can wear, this could range from hoodies or hats to jewellery or underwear depending on what your partner likes. Just remember to find out their size first to save disappointment!
- Fragrance is a popular choice on Valentines. Always pick something you know they like to make sure you get it right! Pay attention to what is already on their dresser to ensure you make the right choice. Or you could get creative and create something personal for them, creating a bespoke frangrance. We recommend Floris on Jermny Street, St. James.
- Flowers can be a great choice whilst keeping it simple. The traditional red rose is of course the number one choice on Valentines Day but you also opt for other flowers depending on your girls style. Don’t be afraid to break with tradition is that’s what your girl would really like.
- If all the above isn’t quite right for whatever reason then the best option for a great Valentines Day present is to organise a date! You can keep it simple – cook dinner, candles, music, wine etc or you can opt for a day or evening out – remember it’s the thought that counts! Take a look through some of our previous reviews for ideas on where to go to celebrate!
However you spend your Valentines Day just remember that you are lucky enough to do so in such a diverse and beautiful city!